We caught up with one of Scotland's most exciting prospects, Cage Warriors fighter, Ross Houston. Check out what Ross had to say as we ask him a few questions below:
- With your fight against Aaron Khalid coming up in October, how are you feeling ahead of your fight with him? What are you expecting during the bout?
7 weeks out from the fight with Khalid feeling solid and ready to go. I'm expecting me to put him away within the 1st round. Whatever he brings on October 14th will be shut down and I will put him away. Me and my coaches are prepared for every aspect of a fight.
- His record shows 4 submissions from his 6 career wins to date, being a fighter who is also a submission artist, what do you feel will be the separating and deciding factor between you?
Yes, he seems clinical with his submissions if given the space. But there will be no mistakes & space gifted to him on my part. I'll be switched on from the start bringing a controlled, calculated game plan & power which he'll crumble under.
- You’ve had a flying start to your pro MMA career – with four wins from four, what do you feel is next for you after your bout in October?
4 out of 4 wins and nothing is going to change, I work too hard for Khalid he's not going to stop the momentum I've got going. I predict a 3rd first round finish on cage warriors then the belt will be in sight.
- You’re currently fighting in one of the premier promotions throughout Europe in Cage Warriors, where do you see yourself going over the next couple of years?
I see myself as Cage warriors welterweight champion this time next year & well into my UFC career in two years’ time.
- You currently compete in the Welterweight division, where do you see yourself in the title rankings? Do you feel you will be soon challenging the current champion, Karl Amoussou? What are your thoughts on him? Thoughts on the current state of the division?
I think the division is a bit stagnant just now. Karl Amosou needs to defend it soon to keep things moving. I think another 2 wins and I will be fighting for the belt.
- Many fighters who have ascended to the pinnacle of the Cage Warriors promotion have gone onto the UFC, fighters like McGregor, Bisping, Dan Hardy and even your fellow countryman Steve Ray – is the UFC your ultimate goal?
The UFC is 100% my goal and beyond. It's pretty much how everyone became interested in MMA so it will be a cool feeling when I get there & remember the days of watching Ortiz / Liddell on BRAVO.
- Who inspired you to move into the sport of MMA?
I used to watch it on tv & I remember sitting for hours on YouTube watching Highlight reels of Fedor, Wanderlei & Silva. My dad was a British level amateur boxer so I think fighting is in our blood.
- If you could have a “money fight” against any fighter, past or present who would it be and why?
God knows! Any fight for some decent money would be cool I guess! Hahaha
- Prediction for your upcoming bout?
1st round win ref stoppage
Make sure that you catch Ross on Saturday, the 14th of October fighting at Cage Warriors 87, down at the Newport Centre in Wales. Tickets can be purchased from CageWarriors.com.